Ralph S. Freedman, MD, PhD, Oral History Interview, March 1, 2012
Download Full Interview Transcript (939 KB)
Major Topics Covered:
- Personal and educational background; experiences in native South Africa
- MD Anderson history and culture in the seventies and since
- Research: immune mechanisms and gynecologic cancers; vaccines, T-cells, monoclonal human antibodies, inflammatory system, ecosinoids and inflammatory responses to tumors.
- Department of Gynecologic Oncology: building immunology research
- Institutional Review Board at MD Anderson
- Lyndon Baines Johnson Hospital and indigent care
- The National Cancer Panel, the Drug Advisory Board
- Institutional change and growth
About the Interview Subject:
Ralph S. Freedman, M.D., Ph.D. (b. 1941, Cape Town, South Africa) joined the Department of Gynecologic Oncology as a Fellow in 1976 and was hired the following year as an Assistant Professor (’87 Full Professor). He has a joint appointment in the Division of Surgery. Dr. Freedman specializes in immunological approaches to ovarian and cervical cancer. Later in his career he became involved with policy-making. He served on the National Cancer Advisory Board and worked for many years on the MD Anderson Cancer Center’s Institutional Review Board. When he retired in 2007, he was Director of the Laboratory of Immunology and Molecular Biology in the Department of Gynecologic Oncology. Since retirement, he has served on the Oncologic Drug Advisory Board.
The Historical Resources Center, Research Medical Library, The University of Texas Cancer Center
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas System. M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute at Houston, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute
History of Science, Technology, and Medicine | Oncology | Oral History
Freedman, Ralph S. MD, PhD and Rosolowksi, Tacey A. PhD, "Ralph S. Freedman, MD, PhD, Oral History Interview, March 1, 2012" (2012). Interview Sessions. 142.
Conditions Governing Access